Thread: Datasource install issue

Created on: 10/30/07 12:02 PM

New topic Reply    Page: 1  

Replies: 8
tony

tony's Gravatar

10/30/07 12:02 PM

hello,
I wanted to test Mango blog on my shared hosting account, but I'm running into a problem during the installation.
I'm trying to use an existing DSN and my host requires a username and password for every DSN connection. During the installation, it only asks for the DSN name and not the username or password. So I'm getting this error:

Error Executing Database Query. [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]Required user name is missing.

I can't use the "New Datasource" option because, as I mentioned, I'm on a shared host and don't have access to the CF Administrator and have to set up my DSN's through my host.

Any way to work around this??
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

11/04/07 9:17 PM

tony,

At this moment, there is no workaround this. None of the queries provide username and password. I am thinking on how to do this without having to have 2 different queries each time.

Sorry about that.
Link | Top | Bottom
jfejsa

jfejsa's Gravatar

11/19/07 10:42 PM

I just downloaded the Mango Blog and was in the process of installing the software. The very first screen displayed the following message

"You are about to install Mango Blog.

You will need to have a database (MS SQL or MySQL) already created (it can be an empty database)."

and that stopped me.

I have few questions...

1) Do I have to use MS SQL or MySQL to create the database, can I use Microsoft Access and create ColdFusion data source pointing to my database.

2) If I have to create a database before I install Mango Blog how do I find out which tables I need, which fields I need for each table and what about relationship diagram.

I had a look in the documentation but didn't see any mention of database requirements. Where so I find these instruaction.

Looking froward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your assistance.
Link | Top | Bottom
tony

tony's Gravatar

11/20/07 5:22 AM

I'm not 100% sure about the first question, but I'd say that you need a MSSQL or a MySQL database for Mango -- Access won't work.

As for your second question -- no you don't need to worry about manually creating tables and fields. As long as you create a DSN for your database in the CF Administrator, the Mango installer will automatically create the tables/fields for you (this is true whether you create a DB for Mango or you use a pre-existing DB). It's pretty sweet that way.
Link | Top | Bottom
tony

tony's Gravatar

11/27/07 5:33 AM

Hi Laura,
I was thinking about the issue I was having with the username and password not being included in the cfqueries. You said that you were "thinking on how to do this without having to have 2 different queries each time."

How about asking for the dsn username and password during the setup, but not making the fields required and defaulting them to empty strings? Then you can pass the username and passwords around along with the dsn name and format your cfquery calls like:

<cfquery name="queryname" datasource="#variables.dsn#" username="#variables.username#" password="#variables.password#">

For users who don't requre username and password in their cfquery tags, they would just have empty strings for those attributes. Shouldn't their queries still work? (And you wouldn't have to have 2 different queries each time)
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

11/27/07 7:05 PM

You know what? You are right. I just double checked, and empty username and password does work. I was sure I had checked it before and it didn't work. Perhaps I got confused with cfmail's server settings. Anyway, I'll do that in the next coming version.

Thanks!
Link | Top | Bottom
tony

tony's Gravatar

11/27/07 7:32 PM

Yeah, I wasn't sure it would work either so I tested it too before I posted ;-)
I am VERY impressed by Mango and can't wait till the next version so I can start using it for my blog. Great work!
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

11/27/07 8:52 PM

tony,

I just updated the zip for download. I would appreciate it if you can test it in your environment. You will have to run the wizard and enter the information in the first screen.

I hope it works!
Link | Top | Bottom
tony

tony's Gravatar

11/28/07 6:05 AM

Hi Laura,
I was able to install it with no problems this time, so it looks like your changes worked so far. I'll play around with it later tonight and let you know if I run into any issues.
Thanks so much for making this change so quickly.
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post

Please login to post a response.