Thread: New skin browser

Created on: 10/03/06 11:19 AM

New topic Reply    Page: 1  

Replies: 14
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

10/03/06 11:19 AM

I made a simple skin browser and demo so that you can see how the different skins look like.

http://www.mangoblog.org/skinbrowser/
Link | Top | Bottom
justin

justin's Gravatar

10/03/06 12:03 PM

Wow, those are some cool skins. I have a question...when do you think the build for the Blog will be stable enough that we can test it on a more widely used site? I have a site I am working on that requires a blog and I would like to use Mango Blog, but I didn't think Mango was far enough along so I thought of using BlogCFC. Any thoughts?

Justin
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

10/05/06 10:39 PM

Justin,
That is a good question. I can't give any dates because I will most likely fail to make them. But I've been using Mango on AsFusion for a long time and it seems ok. I think the administration is not as user friendly as I would like it to be, but the rest I think it is ok.
The only thing I would suggest if you are going to use it is make sure you keep it up to date when new versions are released, particularly if we are fixing bugs.

Of course I would prefer you to use Mango instead of other blog engine :)
Link | Top | Bottom
justin

justin's Gravatar

10/06/06 5:16 AM

I will try to implement it then and keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks!
Link | Top | Bottom
justin

justin's Gravatar

10/10/06 1:30 PM

Are the new skins available for use on Mango yet? I would love to try one of them.
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

10/11/06 12:28 AM

justin,
yes, they are available for use.
Link | Top | Bottom
Webdevotion

Webdevotion's Gravatar

01/06/07 7:13 AM

Where can you download them :)
Link | Top | Bottom
Webdevotion

Webdevotion's Gravatar

01/06/07 7:18 AM

ok, you can find that out in this post:

http://www.mangoblog.org/forums/messages.cfm?threadid=A21759EF-3048-2A53-7039C659A07366B6

Go to your mango installation and browse to:

skins\\movabletype_leftsidebar\\assets\\styles\\other-styles

That's where all the skins are ;)
Link | Top | Bottom
awest

awest's Gravatar

01/21/08 11:48 AM

Laura, the process for adding skins is still very confusing for me.

Bear with me for a moment. The skins browser gives no indication as to /how/ you download skins. One could reasonable believe you could download skins from directly within the skins browser. However, there appears to be no way to do this.

You cleared things up a little bit by indicating additional skins are stored in the moveabletype_leftsidebar\assets... folder. Since each skins located there was in its own folder I assumed you could drag the folders to the root level /skins directory and be in business. This doesn't appear to work.

I tried refreshing the blog cache from the admin thinking that would help but it didn't. So, my questions 1) How do I get the "other" moveable type skins to show up in the Mango Admin so I can activate them? 2) Suppose a new skin was added to the skin browser on this site but it was not included in the downloadable files for Mango? How would someone download a skin they wanted and get it activated?

I hope answering these questions clears things up for people.
Link | Top | Bottom
JoshRodgers

JoshRodgers's Gravatar

01/21/08 12:19 PM

Hey Awest,

I can help answer some questions, I know Laura is swamped.

First off you can download skins in the skins browser in the Mango Admin (if you have a blog running). Its under Settings > Skins There you can set different skins and download others.

Now to get a new skin working you need to dump the folder in the skins directory, and make sure there is a skin.xml file in the new skins folder. This is also the place where you can add custom templates.

sample taken from terrafirma skin:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<skin id="terrafirma" name="TerraFirma" version="1.1" provider-name="AsFusion" lastModified="2007-09-08">

<description>Design based on TerraFirma by nodethirtythree design. </description>

<url></url>

<author>AsFusion</author>

<authorUrl>http://www.asfusion.com</authorUrl>

<designAuthor>nodethirtythree design</designAuthor>

<designAuthorUrl>http://www.nodethirtythree.com</designAuthorUrl>

<thumbnail>assets/images/skin_thumbnail.png</thumbnail>

<preview></preview>

<requiresVersion match="greaterOrEqual">0.2</requiresVersion>

<adminEditorCss>assets/styles/adminEditor.css</adminEditorCss>

<license>Creative Commons Attribution v2.5</license>

<pageTemplates></pageTemplates>

</skin>

Now to help answer the other skins question (location) Download the latest mango build (2.4.1) Unzip this on your desktop and the path would be:

C:\yourdesktoppath\MangoBlog_beta_2.4.1\skins\movabletype_leftsidebar\assets\styles\other-styles

Now you can dump these other skins into the skins directory, again make sure each one has a skin.xml file. I do not know if these skins have been updated to supported the latest build of mango, Laura will have to answer that question.
Link | Top | Bottom
awest

awest's Gravatar

01/21/08 1:01 PM

First off you can download skins in the skins browser in the Mango Admin (if you have a blog running). Its under Settings > Skins There you can set different skins and download others.

Totally on board with this... this area is confusing as the skins in my blog admin /do not/ include many of the skins in the mango.com skins browser.

As far as other skins go, I did move the "other" skins from the moveabletype folder into the base skins directory, but none of these skins have the skins.xml file you mention. I'm guessing these skins are not going to work with the latest version of Mango (I just downloaded and setup the new version over the weekend) as again, they don't include the skins.xml file in them.

If they are designed to work with the latest build of Mango, the skin authors should make sure the folder structure from the Mango download already includes the necessary xml file. Users won't want to have to create this themselves.

I've been in the Internet business as a program and development manager for 8 years, so it's cake for me to edit/create XML files though I am guessing doing this for the skins w/o them is not going to help.
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

01/22/08 1:04 PM

awest,

At this moment, the only and official way to add a skin is via the admin. Viewing skins there has the advantage that it will only show you skins available for your current install version and that you can download and install in one click (provided cfftp is enabled by your host). It will also show you if any of the skins you have install have been updated.

That said, only one movable type skin will be shown there. Why? because all others only change the css, so no skin change is needed (html is the same for all). And because the other styles are not officially supported, mostly because I would need to run them and make sure they look fine, remove "Style contest" references, etc.

So, if you want to use one the movable type styles, see here, I hope that clarifies things a bit: http://www.mangoblog.org/forums/messages.cfm?threadid=E78102CC-3048-2A53-70FD79A130875711
Link | Top | Bottom
awest

awest's Gravatar

01/22/08 2:27 PM

Thanks Laura, that clears things up. Is there any place I can go to preview the skins that are spin offs of the moveabletype skins? The skins browser on this site does not show the names of the skins. There's one particular skin I like in the skins browser, but I have no idea which one that is in the movetabletype skins folder. I suppose I could pour through the CSS and images to try and find it, but I'd rather not do this if there is a clearer way.

Ultimately, I think the skins browser and how to activate skins people see in the skins browser can be better. It's completely confusing when it doesn't have to be.

Thanks!
Link | Top | Bottom
JoshRodgers

JoshRodgers's Gravatar

01/22/08 3:00 PM

I guess I disagree on that last comment, I have had no issues at all with the skins browser, from a usability perspective or as a developer.

The only confusing part to me was that there are other skins in a different folder (which we didnt know about unless you read the mango skins doc ~ mangoblog.org ~). These other skins can be used if you get them and update them to work with the latest build.

This of course has nothing to do with the skins browser itself, its strictly a matter of doing some extra work for some more skins if you wanted to use them.

At any rate this just goes to show the dilema when developing usable UI's... not all users think the same way & you cant make everyone happy. ;)
Link | Top | Bottom
Laura

Wizard
Laura's Gravatar

01/23/08 5:19 PM

awest,
You can get the names of the MT styles here: http://thestylecontest.com/
Link | Top | Bottom

New Post

Please login to post a response.